Sunday, June 20, 2010

Hubert Harmon




I was trolling the internet and found this info on Hubert Harmon on the DECOTINI website...she really dug around to get it. He is one of the least known about...here you go:

Hubert Harmon
-------------------------------------------------

There is so little known about Hubert Harmon, that I decided to do some digging, much in the same way I do my genealogical research. It paid off, as I discovered a grainy newspaper photograph of Hubert and Louise Harmon, taken just 5 days after their wedding. I also pieced together the following information:

BIO: Hubert Pickering Harmon, Jr. was born around 1910 and enjoyed a privileged childhood in Highland Park, Illinois. His father, Hubert Harmon, Sr., was the president of a Chicago Coal Company. His great Uncle (Hubert Pickering) was a student of Homer Winslow.

Prior to his marriage in 1940,he lived abroad, designing fashions in Paris and London. His design work then took him to New York.

He was married Jan 2, 1940 in Greenwich, Ct. to a woman named Mrs. Louise (de Mocher) Frazier. They resided at 51 E 51st in NYC.

I found a couple of 1951 Chicago Newspaper gossip columns, which give us some clues as to his whereabouts and activities. These little tidbits of news give us a clue as to the possible date of his Poodlemania Atlas plates and glasses.

April of 1951
[currently living on the French Riviera] A leather belt designed by Hubert Harmon popped up among highly touted accessories in the current issue of a fashion magazine, indicating he is continuing the work he and Mrs. Harmon started when they lived in Mexico and designed silver and leather goods.


December of 1951
Hubert Harmon will have an exhibit of poodle paintings in a NYC gallery soon. When previously heard from, Mr. Harmon and his wife were living in Mexico and designing in silver, then living on the French Riviera.

Hubert Harmon items are rare, as he was in Taxco for a few short years during the early 1940s. Unlike his fellow American jewelry artists in Taxco at the time (Spratling and Margot) , his aesthetic was one of whimsy, not one heavily influenced by the Mexican culture.

We have included Maya pieces which pay homage to Hubert Harmon designs. Not much is known about Maya at this time.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Tia,
    Hi, Thanks for the shout-out! Glad to know there are other Hubert Harmon aficionados out there..
    Sally
    Visit me at www.decotini.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Hubert Harmon sterling silver and amethest cuff style bracelet. Very beautiful / very different - good shape - with large chunks of purple amethest. Marked with his signature and the winged feet stamp.
    Any interest? Please email at mitchell@sio.midco.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Mom has had this silver and turquiose necklace for as long as I can remember. She passed away two years ago and I'm now going through her jewelry. I found HH on the big cluster necklace. How can I find out the value?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi There and thanks for your post. Your necklace sounds great, Although Hubert Harmon typically signed his pieces with his full name and with winged feet - I'm thinking perhaps your necklace might be Native American (cuz of the turquoise). I dont have a Native Amer signature book but pretty sure you can find some info on the 925-1000.com website on hallmarks. Thanks and Good luck Tia

    ReplyDelete
  5. With havin sο much сontеnt do you ever гun into
    any iѕsues of ρlagoгism οr copyright violation?
    Mу site hаs a lot of cοmpletely uniquе content I've either written myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my authorization. Do you know any techniques to help protect against content from being stolen? I'd
    tгuly apprеciatе it.

    Feel frеe to viѕit my ѕitе :: how to make money online

    ReplyDelete