Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Guadalupe Castellanos Grotesque & Rare




Oh La La - Rare and hard to find - Mostly because this Taxco designer has no noted or documented signature...Instead, collectors are challenged to identify the characteristics of work.

Luckily for me, these earrings were pictured in the Davis & Pack book - see page 204 Plate 130. Its actually a drawing of the earrings with an accurate description of sterling and brass. The only markings on my earrings is Mexico Silver. Also, they are bigger than I anticipated about 2 1/2 inches long - the outside border is sterling with the dimpled interior brass. Pre-hispanic motif, well constructed and pierced to boot.

I liked Gualdalupe's idea of no markings - you really have to dig to find any of his work...Grotesque though it is...I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment