Sunday, October 17, 2010

Maria Belen Nilson - Artist or Copier?






I saw this super cute brooch on ebay - the description says its sort of a reproduction by an original design by Margot. First, I dont think it was Margot I think it was Los Castillo (yes, Margot was married to Antonio). And second, I was unable to verify that this mark is Maria Belen. I did find her bio on the Novica website which says she is from Argentina....
So, just to confirm my position on reproductions - I generally dont approve.
I say generally cuz there are some exceptions like the nice Patzcuaro pin that I blogged about before...I saw it and it was Nice. Nicely done and well made.

This however, to me anyway, looks like a repro. Given that, I think its way overtpriced. I bet you can find the real Margot or Los Catillo for the same price or less.

So Can Anyone Confirm that this is Maria Belens mark?? Thanks

2 comments:

  1. It looks like her hallmark. I just got a used silver necklace on e-bay for about $50, which I also found new on the Novica site. There was no hallmark shown at Novica, but they referred you to other stuff by her, and I saw the same mark. The design of my necklace is based on a Spratling design. So yes, she borrows liberally from others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'borrows liberally' = copy = knockoff = stealing intellectual property
    personally I won't buy them even vintage because it means you are devaluing the original design and the artist that made it...
    and, yes, I agree that the above brooch was most likely stolen from a Los Castillo design (I have a pair of early LC dress clips that are a close match), but I doubt originally by Margot, more likely her then-husband Antonio, or one of his brothers...IMHO

    ReplyDelete