Friday, October 16, 2009

Recent Acquisition - ANTONIO Yes!!



I cant believe I managed to score this one - actually, it might be two. You be the judge with the pics. First its the 'squares with lifted corners' 970 silver and black onyx on every other corner. Its nice and heavy. Thankfully, the previous owner did not polish it and the sender was kind enough not to polish. So even tho you think you are looking at tarnish, you are WRONG! Its actually a patina (rhymes with Katina). With 970 silver its takes a long time to tarnish. Thats the reason this particular designer used such a content of silver - almost pure. Cuz it doesnt tarnish - or if it does it takes a long time. Love it love it. So dont think this was a cheap - tho given the current state of affairs on ebay with Mexican silver, I think it was a good buy.




The other I got for under $100. Now I know what your thinking. But this one just sold on ebay for $900 - The Antonio Pineda puzzle bracelet. This one is 970 silver and is marked with the MCI in a guitar shaped stamp which has been associated with Antonio. So, I cant say for sure it is but I cant say it isnt either...anyway for the price I dont care either way its really nice. The only thing about this one is that after wearing it awhile I have no hair left on my wrist...ouch! It was slightly painful at first - of course, now my wrist is super smooth...lol!

1 comment:

  1. I recently starting learning about vintage Mexican silver, and stumbled across your blog. I love it! You have such fabulous photos, and wonderful info, especially for a newbie like me.
    I noticed this post in particular, talking about the guitar shaped stamp with MCI inside of it. I came across a pair of earrings in a local shop that looked VERY much like the Antonio thumbprint design (I believe it is called), but was marked with the MCI Taxco Mexico cirle with 970 in the middle, and the other has the MCI in the guitar shape with an Eagle assay 2 or 3 (they are pretty worn). This post mentions the guitar mark maybe being associated with Antonio...could you elaborate? I'm very curious about the mark!

    Thank you so much for your help & I look forward to keeping up with your blog!

    Kate

    ReplyDelete